TERMS, CONDITIONS, RELEASE OF LIABILITY & ASSUMPTION OF RISK
By submitting your application to the Paititi Institute, you agree to the following terms and conditions.
This is a legally binding document. It is important that you read it carefully before submiting your applicaiton. Submission of your application to The Paititi Institute implies your agreement to the terms stated herein.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RISKS:
I acknowledge that the following describes some, but not all, of the risks associated with participation in the retreat, course, service or volunteer activity for which I am registering by signing this document: (1) falling; (2) cold weather and heat related injuries, including hypothermia, heat stroke, heat exhaustion, and dehydration; (3) an “act of nature”, which may include flood, inclement weather, thunder and lighting, severe and/or varied wind, temperature or weather conditions; (4) river crossing, fording or travel including travel to or from the activity; (5) risks associated with equipment failure and /or operator error, including risks associated with transportation to and from activities; (6) discharge of weapons; (8) risks associated with watercraft, including change in water flow or current; submerged, semi-submerged and overhanging objects; capsizing, swamping or sinking of watercraft and resultant injury, hypothermia or drowning; (9) my sense of balance, physical coordination, and ability to follow instructions; (10) attack by or encounter with insects, reptiles, or animals; (11) accidents or illnesses occurring in remote places where there are no available medical facilities; (12) prolonged delay in ability to obtain medical assistance; (13) negative reaction from air or waterborne bacteria or viruses; (14) sanitation problems, food poisoning, or contacts with poisonous plants; (15) fatigue, chill and/or dizziness, which may diminish my/our reaction time and increase the risk of accident; (16) losses due to civil unrest and terrorism or for any other cause beyond the direct control of the Paititi Institute.
I acknowledge that risks may be present at any location used as a rest accommodation or a meeting site in conjunction with or during the course, retreat, work study service volunteer programs or activities of the Paititi Institute.
I acknowledge that as a part of the retreat, course, service or volunteer program, I may choose to participate in sacred ceremonies and/or undergo treatment with medicinal plants. I acknowledge that individual reaction to the consumption of medicinal plants may differ and may include a risk of adverse reaction, illness or death. I specifically acknowledge and assume those risks.
I understand that the description of the risks is not complete and that unknown or unanticipated risks may result in injury, illness or death.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY
I am aware that all activities sponsored, promoted or conducted by the Paititi Institute entail risks of injury or death to myself and minor children for which I may be responsible. I agree to assume responsibility for those risks identified in this document and for those risks that were not specifically identified. My/our participation in the retreat, course, service program, volunteer program and/or other activities sponsored, promoted or conducted by the Paititi Institute is purely voluntary; I voluntarily elect to participate in those activities despite the risks involved.
I hereby state that I am (we are) physically and mentally capable of participating in the activities that I am registering for. I assume full responsibility for the risks of personal injury, accidents, illness, or death, and any resultant expenses from any of the foregoing risks. I assume full responsibility for damage to, and/or loss of, my/our personal property as a result of any accident that may occur. I further assume full responsibility for any and all expenses and costs caused by or associated with, my illness or injury during the period of, or associated with, my participation in the activities of The Paititi Institute, including, but not limited to, medical expenses, hospital bills, medications and emergency transportation. I acknowledge that those expenses are not covered by any contribution for participation in the activities of, or volunteering for, the Paititi Institute.
I agree that this release shall be legally binding upon me personally, all members of my family and all minors traveling with me, my and their heirs, successors, assigns, and legal representatives, it being my intention to fully assume all the risks associated with the activities and to release the Paititi Institute from any and all liability.
I hereby forever release, waive, discharge and hold harmless the organizers of this retreat, course, service and/or work study service volunteer program, its owners, officers, employees, agents, and representatives, successors, heirs, and assigns, as well as the owners of the property on which the activity is located, from any and all claims, law suits or causes of action of any kind which might arise from their inactions, actions or omissions, which are in any way associated or connected with this retreat. I hereby agree to indemnify and defend the organizers of this retreat, course, service and/or volunteer program, its owners officers, employees, agents, and representatives, successors, heirs, assigns, and the owners of the property on which this activity is located, and to hold them harmless from any and all claims, law suits or causes of action of any kind brought with or without my knowledge or consent, by my heirs, assigns, subrogees, or any other person or corporation for any harm or injuries sustained or property damage incurred in connection with my participation in this retreat, course and/or work study service volunteer program. I hereby waive any protection afforded by any statute or law in any jurisdiction whose purpose, substance and /or effect is to provide that a general release shall not extend to claims, material or otherwise which the person giving the release does not know or suspect at the time of executing the release. I, therefore, acknowledge that I am releasing unknown future claims.
I hereby authorize any medical treatment (including treatment involving use of medicinal plant) deemed necessary in the event of any injury or illness during my/our participation in the course, retreat or activities.
RULES AND POLICIES:
- Each participant must clearly and honestly disclose all personal information requested on the registration application, via email or in person by any representative of the Paititi Institute.
- Every participant must provide the Paititi Institute with emergency contact information before he/she is allowed to take part in the retreat, course, service, work study service volunteer programs or activities.
- Each participant must obtain emergency evacuation insurance which will cover them in the cases of an injury that may required helicopter evacuation. Each participant is responsible to research and verify that they are fully covered.
- Unless otherwise stated in the Info & Prep document (posted on the registration page and emailed to each participant after registration), a Non-refundable course deposit of 30% is due in full at time of registration in order to hold space in the course. Full retreat/course/work study service fee is due by the first day of the course. The course/retreat fee is non-refundable once the course/retreat/work study service begins. (Additional payment deadlines may apply if specified in the course description).
- Every participant is encouraged to carry an ID or a legible copy of such at all times when not on Paititi Institute grounds.
- Every participant under the age of eighteen (18) must be accompanied by a parent of guardian at all times during the course, retreat, volunteer program or activities.
- Every participant must notify the Paititi Institute of any medical condition (such as diabetes, asthma, seizures etc.), all medication taken in the 6 weeks prior to participation, and of any physical limitation he/she may have with regards to participation in the retreat, course, volunteer program or activities.
- The Paititi Institute is not responsible and does not carry insurance for any lost, stolen or damaged property, including the participant’s luggage.
- In the case of violation of any of the Rules and Policies of the Paititi Institute, the latter reserves the right to terminate participant’s participation in any course, retreat or activities without any refund and without advance notice or warning.
- Every participant hereby agrees to abide by the Rules and Policies, and by oral instructions of the agents and/or instructors of the Paititi Institute and act in a safe and respectful manner at all times.
- All participants agree to honor the Paititi Institute substance policy. The full policy is available in our travel prep documents.
- All participants have fully read agree to the Info & Prep pdf documentation provided for this retreat/course/works study service program. Info & Prep documentation is posted on the registration page, sent with the acceptance letter and also sent with the final details email.
By submitting my online application, I certify that I have read this Agreement, fully understand its terms and conditions, understand that I have given up substantial legal rights by signing it, and have signed it freely and voluntarily without any inducement, assurance or guarantee being made to me and intend my signature to be a complete, absolute and unconditional release of all liability to the greatest extent allowed by law. I further represent that I am at least eighteen (18) years of age and fully competent.