Shamanic Permaculture Design Certificate Course
Facilitated by Andrew Jones and Roman Hanis
November 1 - 30, 2021
Join us for a one month immersive Shamanic Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) Course in the remote mountains of Peru where the Andes and the Amazon Meet. The goal of the course and the center is to share and inspire how we can live in sustainable and harmonious relationship with nature while creating a supportive, self sufficient and nurturing community around us. Weaving together the teachings of Permaculture design, hands on experience, and the interconnection of our inner and outer landscapes we will immerse ourselves into a deep exploration of nature and the ways we can co-evolve and heal together.
The common thread between Shamanism and Permaculture is that nature is our teacher and the principles of Permaculture can be applied to many facets of our life both on micro and macro scale. During this course we encourage our participants to connect with nature from the inside out as we unravel the interconnection of our inner and outer landscapes. Entering the high jungle, we will experience deeply how we are interconnected with this magnificent organism, earth. Permaculture design study will be woven with learning to be in deeper relationship with ourselves.
Internationally Recognized Permaculture Design Certification
Permaculture provides a design approach that allows us to create resilient and productive systems using natural ecosystems as our model. In this 33 day intensive hands-on training we will cover the complete 72 hour Permaculture Design Certificate training along with ample hands on experience to reinforce classroom learning. We will work from broad design principles to the specifics of system design for maximizing productive food systems, water management, waste management, community infrastructure and harmonizing with the abundant energies of nature.
During roughly 50% of our time, students will have an opportunity to play a hands-on, experiential role in the further conceptual development, design planning, and implementation of our Center at the Paititi Institute grounds where the course will be held. At the base of the land is the most sacred river to the Quero, Machiguenga and Huachipari tribes, the River Mapacho, at 1800 meters elevation. At the land’s peak we border one of the largest reserves of South America, Manu, at an altitude of around 3800 meters. Through its unique position on the edge of the Andes Mountains and the Amazon Rainforest there exist three distinct ecological climate zones allowing for an incredible variety of learning opportunities on one site and with surrounding communities. We can grow all the tropical foods at the base such as yuca, plantains, avaocados and mangos; all the amazing temperate climate foods such as apples, peaches, pears and leafy greens; and all the high sierra plants at the property’s peaks, including quinoa and potatoes. There is fresh and pristine spring water, old growth forest, over 20 waterfalls, majestic peaks, rich fertile soil, ancient ruins nearby and infinite magic yet to be discovered.
The intention of the center and our design: To develop and maintain fully sustainable, wholistic, regenerative and harmonious systems activating the full potential of mother earth and humanity.
The Permaculture Design Certificate course is an internationally recognized course resulting in a Permaculture Design Certificate. In order to receive this certification, participants must be present for the full course. Download a PDF of the course curriculum here: PAITITI PDC Curriculum
As humans, we are inexorably linked to the natural systems around us for our sustenance – physical, spiritual, mental and economic. We all have potential for massive abundance of energy, health and vitality – this is in fact our birthright and available to us through the application of appropriate knowledge related to living choices. In order to be in true harmony with our natural environment, we must also attune to the inner environment of our own bodies, as well as our thoughts, words and emotions.
Shamanic Permaculture in it’s essence is this intention to unravel what it truly means to be a human in service for the benefit of all life and the path to this service is through knowing one’s own true nature and self. As an essential and core part of this process we will be exploring deeply what it means to be stewards of nature, stewards of our personal body temples and stewards of harmonious community. From there how do we engage in sacred reciprocity between these three so all life can thrive.
We will incorporate with nutrition, Qigong, Yoga, healing breath, dreamwork, sacred plant ceremonies and eastern meditation practices throughout the course to activate deeper vitality and a realignment of the energetic channels of our organism.
For more information regarding our approach to Shamanic Permaculture read the following blog article HERE >>
As part of the course participants will have an option to partake in ancient Amazonian indigenous ceremonies of Ayahuasca and Andean culture of Huachuma and Coca. All of these plants have been declared to be a national heritage and cultural treasure of Peru. This healing tradition is considered to be an uninterrupted live transmission lineage going back to times immemorial carrying illuminated reminders from the period of humanity when the ancestors were fully immersed in the primordial enlightened essence of humanity’s true nature. For more info on these practices please review our Info & Prep Document.
- Full participation is required and participants will not have the opportunity to leave the center during the course except in the case of an emergency. If you do chose to leave site you may miss essential course material required for certification.
- Participants should be healthy and in good physical shape. During this program you will be on your feet a lot. In addition there is a strenuous 4 hour drive followed by a 3+ hour hike into the property. In addition, many tasks on the property itself involve steep ascents and descents.
- Participants should be comfortable living in a tent, taking cold showers, living with minimal solar electricity, solving unexpected challenges with a positive attitude, and hiking steep terrain.
- Participants must be minimum 21 years old. Younger participants may be accepted with a letter of recommendation. Contact us to discuss.
- Participants must be physically and mentally healthy and stable. If you have a chronic and or debilitating health condition this program is not appropriate for you at this time. Instead we are happy to work with you as a patient where we can offer the proper support in your healing process, please contact us for more information.
- Travel Insurance with minimum of 100K of emergency evacuation coverage (More details in the info & prep document)
May we cultivate a truly regenerative and healing relationship with our inner & outer landscapes. The future of life on this planet depends on each of us embodying the change from the inside, rippling outward.
The contribution for this retreat is based on a sliding scale. Participants are welcome to offer any amount within the sliding scale range. The sliding scale categories are as follows:
- $1,750.00 to $2,250.00 – Program Contribution with Early Bird Discount (must apply before June 1st, 2020)
- $1,950.00 to $2,450.00 – Program Contribution
Please note that we must meet our minimum number of participants by Octobert 1 (4 weeks before) in order to move forward with this program. Please register before this date if you can and you many wish to wait & purchase travel tickets till after this date.
Terms & Refund Policy
- We accept deposits via credit card which is made during the online application process. If you are not accepted to join for the program, your payment will be fully refunded.
- Your remaining balance can be made via credit card with a 3.9% merchant fee added on (please contact us if you wish to make the final payment via CC). Your remaining balance can also be submitted in cash (USD) on the first day of the program. Please bring CRISP, UNRIPPED dollar bills as we cannot use old or damaged bills here in Peru.
- All deposits are non-refundable with exceptions made when its Covid related. If cancelled due to Covid illness or travel restriction we will fully refund or transfer your deposit. If canceled for any other reason ahead of time we can transfer the deposit to a future program minus a 10% admin fee.
- All contributions are non-refundable and non-transferable once the program begins.
- We reserve the right to cancel this retreat if our minimum number of participants isn’t met 4-weeks prior to the start date. All payments will be fully refunded if the program is canceled.
- Additional terms are outlined in our “Terms, Conditions, Release Of Liability & Assumption Of Risk” document which each participant agrees to by submitting an application.
Andrew Jones is a permaculture designer & teacher and sustainability/wellness consultant. He has been on a lifelong journey to integrate his path of right livelihood with his interests and passion for cultural exploration, nature and sustainability, wellness, and a dash of adventure. This has led him to gain a B.Sc. in ecology and a postgraduate diploma in Environmental Management and Development. His career path has incorporated humanitarian aid, international development,…
Learn more about Andrew Jones
Roman Hanis has been working closely with the indigenous Peruvian cultures in the Amazonian rainforest and Andean mountains since 2001. During this time he has devoted this life to learning the ancient healing ways of these cultures while seeking possibilities for creating ecological sources of sustenance for local populations and working to preserve the rainforest and its spiritual heritage of sacred medicinal plants. Seeing the vital role that ancient cultural…
Learn more about Roman Hanis